The AAdvantage American Express card from Citi was created for use on the American Express network, unlike other Citi cards such as Discover, Visa and MasterCard.
The Citi AAdvantage American Express card offer was intended for people with a Good or Very Good credit rating. The minimum rating to achieve a “Good” score is 700. As a result there is no option for a secured version of the card.
The Citicard American Express Advantage is a consumer credit card only and not meant for use as a corporate or business credit card. Care and consideration is given to each applicant, so there is no online instant approval process.
AAdvantage American Express Benefits
There is a significant list of features that AAdvantage American Express cardholders can benefit from. This card is considered indispensable for people who travel on American Airlines due to the focus of these built-in benefits.
- Lost luggage coverage up to $3000 for cardholders and their dependents.
- Travel insurance is provided for trips taken on common carriers such as commercial airplanes, trains, and buses.
- Trip interruption insurance allows cardholders to receive up to $1,500 in insurance for trips that are cut short due to emergencies.
- Auto rental insurance is provided automatically to any rental that was paid for using the AAdvantage American Express card from Citi.
- No pre-set spending limits when the full balance is paid at the end of every billing cycle.
- Identity theft solutions and a photo card option that is available through the services that are shared with the Citi family of cards.
Travel Advantages of the AAdvantage American Express
There is no annual fee for the first year the Citi AAdvantage American Express account is open. This allows cardholders to take advantage of many of the travel perks such as 24- hour concierge service, price protection on in-person purchases and customer service that is live and available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Other AA American Express card travel benefits include a bonus of 25,000 air miles if the cardholder also has an American Airlines frequently flyer account, also known as the Citibank American Airlines American Express card. A quarterly publication provides a listing of reduced travel awards and discounts. These awards rotate each quarter so there is always the opportunity to travel to a new destination.
Downside to the AAdvantage American Express
Although the fee for the Citi AAdvantage American Express card is waived for the first year, for each subsequent year it is $85.00. There are similar Visa and MasterCard options for American Airlines that have lower fees. The interest rate is much lower than many private label credit cards. It is 13.24% variable on purchases, 21.99% variable on cash advances, and 29.99% for late payments.
There is also a fee for transfers, cash advances, foreign currencies, and late payments. American Express is not the elite card it used to be.
The fee merchants must pay to accept the Citi AAdvantage Amex is two or three points higher than most of the other available options. As a result, there are many places where the card is no longer accepted. Try searching for other American Express Citicards with the FREE tool!
Get starting using our FREE credit card finder today!
This content is not provided or commissioned by the company whose products are featured on this site. Any opinions, analyses, reviews or evaluations provided here are those of the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the Advertiser. This site may be compensated through the Advertiser’s affiliate programs.
- Review of Visa Signature Citi Gold AAdvantage Card
- Citi Executive AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard Credit Card
- Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Mastercard
- MasterCard from Citi AAdvantage Gold World
- AAdvantage Bronze MasterCard from Citi
- Credit Card Review for Citi Platinum American Express
- Gold Delta SkyMiles Credit Card from American Express