There are not many things that can be considered more exciting than a new product being launched. When the Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve Card was revealed last year, several credit card users wanted to own one. This was because the card advertised a great number of features that delighted most of the travelers.
This particular co-branded Visa card from Hilton and Citibank has a ton of qualities that holidaymakers will surely enjoy. As a summary, the standout features are as follows:
- Signup Bonus for New Cardholders
- Anniversary Bonus for Existing Members
- Elite Status for Hilton hotel fans
- Rewards for Using the Credit Card
- Absence of Foreign Transaction Fees
It is important to note that the Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve Card does come with an annual fee of $95.
Be sure to use the FREE chaser tool above to find and compare credit cards easily!
A Look at the Features
The Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve Card does come with attractive attributes for travelers who choose to stay at any Hilton Hotel. This card is quite unique as it truly differs from the other hotel branded cards out there.
It is for big spenders, but it also for people who simply like to travel and use their plastic for their purchases.
Sign Up Bonus
It is without a doubt that many of the cardholders are searching for signup promotions from credit card companies. As for the case of the Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve Card, it does contain a signup bonus for the newly approved card members. Before redeeming this specific bonus, it is important that the card member understands the following:
- The signup bonus is not to be confused with the word “signup.” Just because an individuals has signed up for the card does not mean that he or she will be able to receive this bonus.
- This bonus will only be awarded to those who are able to spend at least $2,500 with their card.
- There is a time limit in completing the minimum amount of purchase, which is four months. This means that by the time the card user has received his or her card, it is required to make $2,500 worth of purchase before the first four months of card ownership ends.
- The signup bonus is equivalent to two weekend nights for free. By weekend nights, this pertains to Friday, Saturday, or Sunday nights.
- The free stay can be used on a number of Holton family properties, which include the Waldorf Astoria.
- Card members have the freedom to use their bonus anytime they want. However, it is important to remember that it will only be valid for 12 months. If left not redeemed, it will expire and will no longer be effective.
The signup bonus is worth a great number of points. If you observe the Hilton properties such as the Waldorf Astoria requires that you have at least 80,000 HHonors points to be able to stay for a night. Therefore, the signup bonus is equivalent up to 160,000 worth of HHonors points.
There are credit cards that allow you to get cash back every year that you are a member of the card. Even though the Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve Card does not give you money, it does award you every year for being a faithful card member.
Details of the anniversary bonus are as follows:
- The anniversary bonus is equivalent to a free weekend night, meaning Friday, Saturday, or Sunday at most of the Hilton properties across the globe.
- The anniversary bonus is not automatic because you have to earn it. In order to get the free weekend night bonus, it is required to spend at least $10,000 against your card.
- Failure to reach the $10,000 minimum purchase will not cause you to lose your card, but it does let you miss out on the opportunity to spend one free night at a Hilton hotel.
For most people who travel and book at Hilton properties around the world, this anniversary bonus is worth more than cash back rewards. This is because if you calculate the value of the points, you will find that Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve Card does offer insanely huge rewards.
As mentioned, there are Hilton properties that require at least 80,000 points in order to spend the night there for free. If you go to a Hilton property that requires about 50,000 points, it is like you are earning five to eight bonus points for the $10,000 you spend each year.
Nothing beats being an Elite member of a hotel. Unlike other co-branded Hilton cards, there is no expiration on the Gold status, which you instantly get once you receive the card. As long as you retain your Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve Card, you will remain your Gold status.
Aside from having the Gold status, you also get the following benefits:
- Free Internet
- Free access to Hilton Hotels’ club lounges
- Free breakfast
- Bonus points
- Room upgrades if available
All the mentioned perks above are almost as good as being a Diamond member. The Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve Card lets you become a Diamond member if you are able to spend $40,000 every year. You will retain this position if you continue to spend this amount annually.
Rewards for Purchases
The Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve Card is quite generous when it comes to point rewards for the card members.
When used against purchases at any Hilton properties, the card automatically rewards the user with 10 points for every dollar spent.
This is a great card for frequent travelers since all airfare and car rental charges are equivalent to five points per dollar.
As for other purchases, you still get three points, which is quite a good deal unlike other cards that offer only one point per dollar spent.
No Foreign Transaction Fees
Foreign charges mean that you have to pay additional amount when you use your card abroad. This is common in cards made for travelers, which is actually ironic given the fact that most travelers go abroad and use their cards instead of cash.
This is something that you do not have to worry about with Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve Card. There is no foreign transaction fee when you use the card for your purchases overseas.
Card Costs and Requirements
Of course, like all credit cards, there are terms that you cannot escape including the annual percentage rate. Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve Card has the following APR values:
- Standard APR: at least 15.24% depending on creditworthiness
- Balance transfer APR: 15.24%
- Balance transfer fee: $5 or 3% of the amount transferred, whichever is higher.
- Penalty APR: 29.99%
- Cash Advance APR: 25.24%
- Cash Advance Fee: $10 or 5% of the amount withdrawn, whichever is higher.
Even though the APRs may seem a bit high for most applicants, these values are easily overcome by the high rewards rate. Additionally, there may be a penalty APR, but there are no foreign transaction fees. Penalty APRs can be applied to late payments or a returned payment.
As for the requirements and other information regarding the card, here are the things that you need to know about:
- In order to be approved, the applicants are required to have excellent credit.
- The credit card has an annual fee of $95, which has to be paid every year to avoid termination of the card.
- There are no introductory APR promotions for both purchase and transfer transactions.
- If you qualify for the anniversary bonus, you need to wait at least six weeks before you get your certificate.
- For status upgrades (from Gold to Diamond), customers need to wait at least four weeks in order for the status to be changed.
The Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve Card is actually one of the easiest cards to use and understand. It does not have many frills and is quite simple in terms of the rewards categories it offers.
The Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve Card is a Visa Signature card, which means that it already comes with a number of benefits for the card members. These include the following:
- No Charge on Unauthorized Purchases: If you get to prove that a particular charge or charges are not of your doing, Citi will not require you to pay for any of the transactions made against your card.
- Purchase Protection: Theft, fire, or any kind of incident can take place on your purchases. When you use the Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve Card, you get protection of up to $500. This offer is only valid if your purchased item is 90 days old at the most.
- Extended Warranty: It is common for purchases to come with one year warranty. With the help of this card, qualifying purchases can get an additional warranty of up to one more year.
- Lost Luggage Insurance: Protect your belongings with Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve Card. This card gives you up to $3,000 worth of coverage for any lost luggage.
The card comes with Citi’s chip based technology, which gives the users a much smoother experience when traveling with the card. The chip guarantees global acceptance and even advanced security whenever in other countries.
Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve Card can also be used with Citi Price Rewind. This allows the users to save some money even if they have already made a purchase.
Simply register the item and if you find that there is a much lower price anywhere for the item that you have registered, you can get the price difference back. Note that the cost should at least be $25 lower than what you paid for.
Who is This Card For?
The Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve Card is mostly for travelers and people who often book at Hilton Hotels. Here are the other types of people who may want to use this card:
- People looking for lavish signup bonus.
- People who are searching for a card that they want to use for a long time
- People who want to stay at a hotel free
- People who want to achieve Diamond status on Hilton Hotels
- If you are one of the individuals mentioned above, the Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve Card is a great choice as your next credit card.
Whether you think this card is for you or not, it’s always great to see all of your options. Simply use the FREE credit card chaser located above to get started!
- Hilton HHonors Platinum Credit Card from American Express
- Citi Hilton HHonorsTM Visa Signature Card
- The 0% APR Experiment: How to Beat the Credit Card Companies at Their Own Game
- Citi ThankYou Prestige Card
- Citi ThankYou Preferred Card for College Students – Earn 2,500 Bonus Points
- Citi Dividend World by MasterCard
- American Express Credit Cards