As with any type of employer, credit card companies have a variety of careers available for those interested in working for them. If you are interested in working in the financial arena for a credit card company, some of the careers you may want to consider include the following:
- Transaction processing specialist or fraud detection
- Credit card processor
- Risk management
- Credit operations specialist
- Service representative
- Small business representative
- Financial transaction developer
If you are in the market for a new credit card, let the credit card chaser help you find the right one for you.
One of the things that credit card companies look at seriously prior to hiring a new employee is his or her credit score. Therefore, if you are considering seeking employment with a credit card company, you may want to make sure you have a good credit report and the right card to meet your needs before applying.
How important is my credit card use for my career?
The way you use your credit card can affect the jobs you get. Especially for jobs in the financial industry, it is very important to have a healthy credit score. If you are constantly late with payments; have a high debt to income ratio; or have other serious blemishes on your credit report, you may be overlooked for jobs that you would otherwise eligible be perfectly qualified for.
Almost all financial service companies run a credit check on applicants they are considering hiring. Other industries like insurance and franchises perform credit checks too. If you will be handling other people’s money, employers want to be confident that you can responsibly do so. Your personal credit report can attest to that. Some employers also believe that a credit score can give an indication of how likely you are to steal from the company.
For more information about how to get a handle on your finances and make sure that your credit score reflects the fact that you are financially responsible, check out Suze Orman’s website for practical tips.
How can I repair my credit score so I can get a better job?
Despite the fact that there are many things that can affect your credit score, you will be relieved to know that even bad credit is reparable. Nothing stays on your credit report indefinitely. Therefore, you need to know how to repair your credit score, so you can get a better job and a better choice in credit cards.
- Get a copy of your credit report and be sure it is accurate. Immediately dispute any errors.
- Stick to making timely payments on credit cards, loans and other accounts.
- Make payments that are at least slightly higher than the minimum.
- Make sure that you don’t use more than 30% of your available credit.
- Pay down balances on credit cards as much as possible.
- Be very careful when opening new accounts. Too many credit cards can negatively affect your credit score.
- Avoid closing credit cards, and especially your oldest credit cards. The length of time you have kept accounts is important to your score.
Remember that your credit score is continually in flux. Therefore, you will need to continue with these habits. You will also need to be patient because change in your credit score may take a couple of months to appear. Resources like MyMoney.gov will also provide you with helpful advice to get your credit improved.
What do I need besides good credit for credit card company career?
If you are looking for employment with a credit card company, your education and experience is of utmost importance. A degree in finance will open many doors in the industry, but a degree is not necessary for every job. Experience in sales, call center work, customer service, collections or management will also prove to be very valuable in your job search. Such skills easily translate to careers at credit card companies.
Take the time to research the credit card companies you may be interested in working for. Personalize your cover letter when you apply with information about the company you are applying to. This will make you stand out from the crowd.
A credit card that fits your financial needs and that is being used responsibly is the best one for you to carry as you seek a career with a credit card company.
Do a credit card comparison now to find the best credit card for you personally with the credit card chaser!
- What Are Some Easy Ways to Improve My Credit Score?
- Soft Inquiry
- Should I keep paying my credit cards after I’m unemployed?
- How Will Marriage Affect My Credit Score?
- When do credit card companies report to credit agencies?
- How Long Will a Late Payment Stay On My Credit Report?
- Why are credit card companies closing accounts?